We returned home earlier than expected thanks to an early start and great weather encouraging the cottage mob to stay late. I used my extra time to build character by installing the traverser slides. I did not have a failure of orientation error but I think I committed just about every other one except setting things on fire. I will summarize by stating that there is more than one set of holes in the table slide mounts and leave it at that. I may have indulged in an expletive or two as well.
I pressed on and made reworked things until I have something that seems like it will do, at least in manual mode. My plan to drive the table from a single screw in the middle may not work due to the tendency for the table to rack as the various stages of the slides are reached. The two slides cannot be counted on to behave exactly the same so I may have to resort to either two stepper/screw pairs or some sort of single motor pushing on both ends drive system. I have some ideas. I may just try it with the single screw and see how it goes since I have the one motor and motor driver already in hand.
Table at right extent puts the traverser center track in alignment with the runaround track.
Getting that reach required me to employ a trick I learned somewhere. I bent down the stopper tabs on the slides so that the slides run both ways. In this particular case the dual direction capability wasn’t necessary except for one of those previously mentioned errors. I located the baseboard slide supports based on bad assumptions about the travel of the slides relative to their footprint and ended up a half inch short on the right extent. Folding down the tabs fixed that with minimal fuss. Here is an underside shot of a bent down tab.
Left extent puts the center traverser track on the back track and extends the table beyond the back of the layout. I have yet to decide if this will be useful for fiddling cars on and off the layout or not.
The big question is how well does it fit. The gap I ended up with is quite narrow, perhaps too narrow. If it turns out to be too close, I can shave things off the layout side.
Looking at the level of the two meeting edges shows the work left to do. The table is level but the matching roadbed is floating unsupported and is not level. The final step will be to attach a support to the end of the subroadbed and torque things into alignment.