Diamond Frog Juice

I have been test running back and forth looking for mechanical flaws in Comstock Road’s trackwork. Whilst so engaged, I discovered that the two isolated and as yet unpowered frogs on the diamond are both as long as the SW-8’s trucks and spaced almost exactly the same distance apart. This was obvious as the locomotive persistently lost power crossing the diamond at slow speeds. (Faster speeds allowed the capacitor to get it across the gap in time).

Fortunately, I recently purchased a Tam Valley Dual Frog Juicer for just this eventuality and got it installed tonight. Several post-installation test runs have failed to produce a stall so it looks like the device is earning its’ keep.diamondfrogjuice

This is probably the easiest installation I will get. Four screws, four wires and done. I think I spent more time reading the instructions than actually hooking it up.

As an encore, I broke out the servo connector wire kit I have assembled from various vendors. The combination of purpose specific three strand wire, connector kit and crimpers will allow me to connect servos to Octopus-III board and control panel. And the vast quantity of parts will allow me to mess up the occasional crimp. Score is 6-1 so far…jrkit

2 thoughts on “Diamond Frog Juice”

  1. Sufficiently advanced embedded systems are indistinguishable from magic. 🙂

    I will be switching polarity of the turnout frogs using remote relays because I bought those before there were frog juicers but if I had to do it again, it would be juicers from one end to the other!

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s