I have some task to perform this weekend that will take me out of town on Sunday so hobby time is limited but I did get something done. Permanently installing the Tam Valley Octopus III and attendant remote relays will require me to mount them in close proximity to the control panel. There isn’t any large wood surface in that location or in any other for that matter, this being the downside of non-solid wood topped baseboards. There being no wood surface available, I determined to provide my own.
I measured the boards and pondered their optimal orientation in relation to each other and to the various connections that would need to be made. I then cut a 3″x 8″ hardboard rectangle, drew some guide lines on it and attached the boards with 3/8″ #4 wood screws.
It isn’t fancy but all the boards are securely mounted so that plugging and unplugging won’t cause something to come loose. I will screw the board to the underside of two subroadbed sections so that the board is accessible between the baseboard bracing.
The blue terminal blocks all handle power of some sort: track for the relays(red boards) and servos for the Octopus board. The black connectors on the relays and the C 0-7 header on the Octopus connect to the controllers on the panel via Y-cables. The less ideal bit is that the cables to the servos connect on the header on the left side of the Ocotpus. This was the least bad choice since the connector for the Remote Alignment board (right side) needed to be easy to get at since it’s cable will get repeatedly plugged and unplugged at least until I get things all set up.
As a note, the relays are what seemed like the best solution for switching frog polarity when I bought the Ocotopus-III several years ago. If I was doing this from scratch, I would use a Frog Juicer instead especially now that I have used one and seen how simple it is to wire up.